Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Voice of Reason: "Mommy..."


So, it's 2:38 in the AM. What am I doing up? I know I'm asking myself the same thing. Every few months I catch a cold that turns into a cough, which turns into me sleeping downstairs on the couch, tossing until I finally give up and pull out my laptop instead. Tonight my choice entertainment, a ABC Family show, that in an effort to protect my dignity we'll leave unnamed.

While watching unnamed mindless show, I start to feel a bit nostalgic and longing for the spontaneous whimsy of my college days. The more I watched this lame show the more I started to see my life as "Humdrum" and predictable. As though 'predictable' is something bad.

Predictable/adj;/: constant, stable, reliable. Definitely all things I've wanted in my life as long as I can remember. But either way, as I was wishing for something exciting and whimsical, my sweet Bridgey came filtering up the stairs with the most tender sleepy voice, "Mommy, can I sleep in your bed?" And, in an instant, I realized nothing was more attractive than this. Excitement is alluring, but consistency is comforting. Spontaneous is fun, but getting to wake up with these sweet babies is more than I ever hoped for. I had a moment of crazy, glad it was short lived.

2 comments:

Dorienne said...

I just love those cuddles in bed. Pure joy.

Jannemccue said...

I just got back from attending a wedding in Victoria (a high school friend) and was able to catch up with some of my high school friends. I had a similar brief moment where I was thinking that their lives seem so spontaneous and fun ... but there really is nothing sweeter than family and I am so happy with where I am :)