Thursday, February 19, 2009

And This To Shall Pass... we hope.

Tonight little Bridgey Bear swallowed a penny while in the corner doin' time. After the initial panic attack and desire to hide all small shiny objects, I called Jess to ask if he thought there was anything to do but wait. He agreed to just wait and see if the little copper treasure made a return.

According to my personal doctor -The Wild Wild World of Web: "A penny (or even a quarter!) can easily pass through the digestive tract and will probably do so within 24-48 hours." All you can really do is wait and go treasure hunting to make sure it makes it's way back out (fun!).

7 comments:

Carrie said...

One of my nephews swallowed a penny once(so they thought), but the next day he pooped a dime! They thought about going into business. Good luck witht the treasure hunting.

Christy said...

Carter swallowed a dime and sure enough, it was in his diaper the next day... Although it did look more like a penny because it was totally corroded... weird stuff. happy hunting!

MARTHA said...

My mother didn't have to do much hunting when my brother swallowed a handful of change. It came through loud and clear, clink, clink, clink, clink....etc.

Heather May said...

Levi swallowed a penny when he was 9 months. It got stuck in his esophagus, we called 911, and ended up at the hospital under general anesthesia to remove it. It was awful. When they x-rayed, they also discovered a shiny key ring in his gut that he must have eaten the day before.
Aren't kids fun?

Stephanie M Larsen said...

UPDATE: It turned out to be a penny and a dime! Sick.

I can't believe how common it is for kids to swallow money. Christy said Carter ended up blocking his air supply with a quarter when he was 5. I never that worried when the older kids chew on things they shouldn't but I guess anyone could choke, so I should be. That cracks me up that Levi ended up having a key ring in his stomach too, I wonder how many things kids eat that we just never notice.

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

investing in a box of those latex gloves are you!? Good luck!

The Young Ones said...

I am sure it will not be the last time! I remember swallowing change when I was like 8! And my husband was like that hospital story of Levi but older. It was a quarter that he thought we would put in his mouth for safe keeping while rolling down a grass hill...hhmmmm