Monday, April 21, 2008

Oh, what do the simple folk do.. .

. . . to perk up when they are blue"
- Camelot Musical

I suppose I not so much blue as suffering from the daily adjustment to the monotony of my life. I look at today's "to-do's" and find myself doing alot of self talk, 'this is your life, embrace it', 'find the extrodinary in the ordinary', 'bloom where your planted' and then I find myself stubbornly asking 'but, is this it?'

And, then I remind myself that I have every possible blessing, all I'm missing is a tragedy to help me recognize them. I was reading the blog of a close friend tonight and she had journaled about a truly heartbreaking experience and I felt shame for my discontent and sincere gratitude for my happy life.

Kim Baker gave a fantastic lesson a few months ago about sharing the gospel with others. This being so dear to my heart, I paid close attention. What stood out most to me was when she talked about sharing our testimony through our example. That if we walk around acting put out, overwhelmed and tired all the time as mothers, we are not sharing the right message. (For the record, she said it much more eloquent than this.)

I guess the point to this rambling is that I hope to be a light unto the world, not a soggy rain cloud. And, tonight I was able to re-adjust my perspective again and I wanted to commit my new cheerful outlook to paper or cyberspace, so I could look back and remember, when the time comes again that I can't see the forest for the trees.


"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through aChrist which bstrengtheneth me."

(Philippians 4:10-13)

2 comments:

MARTHA said...

Good for you Stephanie.

whitney said...

thank you for the reminder. without you i would forget to stop and think and put things into perspective. don't be so hard on yourself. you are the best friend anyone could ask for and an amazing example to me to try and live better everyday.